Some brief notes that some up the talk by David. The session was highly enjoyable, informative and enjoyed by the members.
* Born in an age of political rebellion in Europe and Religious change. The Netherlands gained independence from Spain and divided into a Protestant nation in the North and a Catholic country in Flanders
* Artists faced a crisis in the North as the puritan style religion did not want so much decoration in its churches. Artists had to develop new genres such as seascapes, still life pictures, domestic scenes and more and more portraits.
* Rembrandt's full name was Rembrandt Harmeszoom (son of Harmes) Leidon(from the town of) or Rembrandt Harmeszoon Van Rijn (by the river Rhine) His father owned a windmill.
* In his first studio his work was admired by the secretary to the Prince of Orange. He made a name for himself painting portraits that were sent all over Europe.
* His next studio was in Amsterdam.
* Married Saskiatha daughter of a burghermaster, in 1634. A big step up in status. First 3 children died before reaching the age of 2.
*Painted for the whole Amsterdam community: -Jews, Baptists, Mennonites Calvinists and Catholics. He could then paint religious subjects like Carravagio and paint portraits like Titian.
* Highly successful and bought a large studio. Lived extravagantly, painting group photographs of Civic groups including the famous Night Watch.
* 1642 Saskia died 9 months after son Titus was born. In her will half her money was left to Titus. She also stipulated that Rembrandt should not remarry. Because he missed home life so much he was able to put a good deal more humanity into portraits than anyone else had managed to do.
* Lived with a housekeeper and this shocking behaviour caused Calvinist custom to drift away.
* Unpaid debts forced him out of his studio and into bankruptcy. Lived with Hendrichije Stoffels and Titus.
* In later life he lost his son and Hendrichije Stoffels so that his later life was lived out in penury, painting self portraits.